How can I correct mistakes or dispute information on my credit report?*

April 26th, 2012 03:36

It’s not easy, but it can be done. Credit bureaus are legally required to investigate disputed information by contacting the creditor that originally supplied them with the information. The three major credit bureaus usually have the same information for each consumer file — but not always. You need only contact the bureau that actually shows an error.

Factual information cannot be removed from a credit report, and the credit bureaus will not automatically remove information from your reports just because you dispute it. You have to prove that information is wrong with supporting documentation before a credit bureau will correct a report. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), a credit bureau must within 30 days remove or modify a disputed item if it is found to be inaccurate, incomplete or cannot be verified after a reasonable investigation.

Contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus:
P.O. Box 2002
Allen, TX 759013
(888) 397-3742
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022
(800) 888-4213
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374
(800) 685-1111


W.J. Bradley Mortgage Capital, LLC is a privately held independent mortgage lending firm, founded in 2003 and headquartered in Centennial, Colorado. We are a boutique lender, backed by private... Read More

Featured Posts

Tag Cloud

Document Checklist Pre-Approval Pre-Qualification Credit scores mortgage interest rates. credit report tri-bureau merged report credit ratings credit score